The Botswana Power Corporation ( “BPC”, "us", “we", or "our") operates http://www.bpc.bw (“the Site"). This page informs you of our policies regarding the collection, use, protection and disclosure of any Information we receive from users of the Site. BPC is committed to safeguarding and ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using this website, then you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
BPC may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. As a User, you are encouraged to check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes. This policy is effective from 1 October 2016.
What we collect
We may collect, store and use the following information:
- Name and contact information including email address.
- Information about your computer and about your visits to and use of this website (including [your IP address, geographical location, browser type and version, operating system, referral source, length of visit, page views and website navigation paths]).
- Information that you provide to us when using the services on our website, or that is generated in the course of the use of those services (including [the timing, frequency and pattern of service use]).
- Information contained in or relating to any communication that you send to us or send through our website (including [the communication content and metadata associated with the communication]).
- Other information relevant to customer surveys and/or offers.
Before you disclose to us personal information of another person, you must obtain that person's consent to both the disclosure and the processing of that personal information in accordance with this policy.
What we do with the information we gather
Personal information submitted to us through our website will be used for the purposes specified in this policy or on the relevant pages of the website. We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
- Internal record keeping.
- We may use the information to improve our products and services.
- We may periodically send promotional emails about new products, special offers or other information which we think you may find interesting using the email address which you have provided.
- From time to time, we may also use your information to contact you for market research purposes. We may contact you by email, phone, fax or mail. We may use the information to customise the website according to your interests.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
We will not, without your express consent, supply your personal information to any third party for the purpose of their or any other third party's direct marketing.
We use local storage
With local storage, web applications can store data locally within the user's browser.
Before HTML5, application data had to be stored in cookies, included in every server request. Local storage is more secure, and large amounts of data can be stored locally, without affecting website performance.
Unlike cookies, the storage limit is far larger (at least 5MB) and information is never transferred to the server.
Local storage is per origin (per domain and protocol). All pages, from one origin, can store and access the same data.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links or details to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Controlling your personal information
We will take reasonable technical and organisational precautions to prevent the loss, misuse or alteration of your personal information.
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so. We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties which we think you may find interesting if you tell us that you wish this to happen.
However, BPC may disclose your personal information:
- To the extent that we are required to do so by law;
- In connection with any ongoing or prospective legal proceedings;
- In order to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights (including providing information to others for the purposes of fraud prevention and reducing credit risk);
If you believe that any of your information in our possession is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or email us as soon as possible, at firstname.lastname@example.org . We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.
- We may update this policy from time to time by publishing a new version on our website.
- You should check this page occasionally to ensure you are happy with any changes to this policy.
- We may notify you of changes to this policy [by email or through the private messaging system on our website].